NITN | @notintownlive | 12 Apr 2018
‘Hideous Barack’ is a historical non fiction book written by H.P. Roychoudhury. It mainly focuses on the Barak (also spelled as Barack) valley, focusing on the region from pre-Independence to the present, as well as discussing about the future.
It’s a book of undeniable depth and knowledge.
The author has gone into candid and minute details. It is like a mirror showing the truth.
Some of the details in the book will even shock the most sturdy.
Usually, history is taught in our schools in a very generalized manner, often a glorification of people. But rarely are we told about the dark side of history.
This book is like an eye opener, a rude awakening. A book that makes you question Gandhiji’s work as a ‘freedom fighter’, a book that shakes your faith from its very foundation.
Although the book focuses on the Barak valley, the narration links the region with the happenings around the country before and after independence.
The book touches upon topics such as the Sepoy Mutiny, formation of the Indian National Congress, role of Gandhiji in Hindu-Muslim riots and the Partition of India, the dark side of the leaders, India's first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru, and the aftermath of British rule in India - especially on Assam, the Barak Valley.
The book also throws light on the origin of Muslim religion in Bengal, the effect of China and the greater India’s relation with Bengali people.
It winds up with the story of how Barak Valley, such a tiny region of such a big country, played a major role in bringing back Hindu-Muslim unity after the Partition of India.
A must read for people who are interested in history and want to know more about the Barak region.
Overall I’d rate this book 9.5/10.
(Reviewed by Soumashree Mukherjee)
- Kolkata: Bhaskar and Bandel Loke Samsad Group presents enchanting musical evening to people
- Priya Entertainments Pvt Ltd’s Khairabera Eco Adventure Resorts brings in special packages to boost tourism in Purulia
- UNSW Sydney to adopt new academic calendar in global approach
- 10th GRIHA summit to focus on fostering partnerships and on green, liveable housing: Experts
- DIY Foods: Hands on!
- Aditya Group, Anirban Aditya awarded with India’s Greatest Brands and Leaders Award 2017-2018
- A Rotarian accounts the success story of Polio Eradication
- Author interview: Lopamudra Sen on her book 'To Write Love on Her Hand'
- Author interview: Rajender Singh on his book 'A Conversation with the Mountain and Other Stories '
- Anthology 'Abrittir Kobita' fulfills a void in the world of Bengali recitation, say poets and elocutionists
Mumbai, Sept 3 (NITN) Etihad Airways, the national airline of the United Arab Emirates, has announced a special offer for passengers flying from India to the United States and Europe via its hub, Abu Dhabi.
Sydney: If you are planning a holiday in Australia from India, then this is the time as the air-tickets are available at unbeatable prices.
Cologne, Mar 17 (NITN): Deutsche Lufthansa AG, the largest German airline, is offering special sale to all travelers to fly off to and travel in Europe and North America at cheap prices.