NITN | @notintownlive | 05 Jun 2018
Kolkata, Jun 5 (NITN): Kolkata-based cultural organisation Garfa Mitrayan presented their 100th stage enactment of Rabindranath Tagore’s dance drama ‘Chandalika’ recently.
The presentation also marked the completion of 10 years of this production which has been choreographed with the use of different styles, including those of Gaudiya Nritya and various folk dances of Bengal.
Conceived and directed by Banani Chakraborty, the presentation of ‘Chandalika’ has Satabdi Acharyya as the assistant dance director, Amitabha Mukherjee as the music director, Subhadip Chakraborty as the creative director, and Ayan Mukherjee and Subhadip Chakraborty as the assistant music directors.
Over the years, Garfa Mitrayan has presented ‘Chandalika’ in Bengali and Hindi, across India and in Moscow.
Kamrul Islam, General Secretary, Bengal Council for Literature and Culture, Bangladesh, Prof. Shafiqunnabee Samadi, ex-Head, Dept. of Bangla, Rajshahi University, Bangladesh and Justice Soumen Sen, Judge, Kolkata High Court were among the guests who attended the100th stage enactment
According to the organisers, Garfa Mitrayan endeavours for the upliftment and spread of Indian cultural traditions, mainly in the areas of classical and folk dance forms of Bengal, many of which are on the verge of extinction.
Many of its students and members have received not only national scholarships and fellowships from the Government of India, but also prestigious awards for their proficiency in dance and research work, the organisers said.
- UNSW Sydney's team producing high-quality building products made from old clothing and mixed waste glass
- Fashion designer Agnimitra Paul opens exhibition to help women entrepreneurs
- Vocalist Sohini Roy Chowdhury regales audience at city concert
- Sanskriti University signs MOU with ICAR-NBPGR
- India urged to bridge gap between evidence and policy in tackling women’s cancers
- Expert Speak: Choosing the First Job
- Eco Adventure tourism is the next big thing for Indian tourism industry, says Priya Entertainments' MD Arijit Dutta
- Pandit Tarun Bhattacharya to unveil Santoor Ashram Foundation for Global Music Promotion in Los Angeles
- Rhitom Sarkar, slide guitar artist, is keen to take his melody to a wider audience
- Yellow and Violet : An artist's impression of the colours that stand poles apart
US railroad operator Amtrak has launched a deal offering rooms for two for the price of one for a select range of destinations across America. The offer is valid for journeys made between January 7 and May 23, 2019.
Hong Kong, Nov 22 (NITN): Cathay Pacific is offering up to USD 1,000 off on Business Class as part of its Black Friday sale in US to Asia flights.
Ho Chi Minh City, Oct 24 (IBNS/NITN): Vietjet is offering two million super-promotional tickets priced from only VND0 (conditions apply).