NITN | @notintownlive | 10 Oct 2018
Kolkata, October 10 (NITN): Luxury commentator and author launched his second book ‘Dark Luxe’ in the presence of academician and author Professor Alok Kumar, senior journalist and photographer Kounteya Sinha and senior journalist, graphic novelist and illustrator of the book Sumit Moitra.
The book is published by Srishti Publishers.
The book is the second of the ‘Luxe Duology’ series, the first being ‘Decoding Luxe’.
The series explores the uncharted dark side of luxury.
‘Dark Luxe’ is an anthology of 13 short stories on luxury.
While the first book of the series was a non-fiction, the second book is a fiction; the series starts with dazzle of luxury and finishes with the darkness in it.
Mahul Brahma is a luxury commentator and columnist. He is also an award-winning communicator.
He is Head-CSR, Corporate Communications and Branding of mjunction, a TATA group company.
He has been has been a senior journalist for a decade with Economic Times, CNBC TV18, Reuters and India partner of New York Times.
Talking about the book, Brahma said, “Dark Luxe is not about the dreams, it is about the nightmares. The stories about the dark life of luxury are figments of my imagination, but certainly not limited by it. These tales are entwined with the historic evolution of these luxury brands. When we think of luxury, we always think of dazzle. But we never even touch upon the darkness that silently hides behind this luxe. It is always about glam and glitz. Behind this razzle-dazzle, there another life. A life filled with lust, hatred, jealousy, anger. Luxury is just a silent witness to the depth of darkness of human hearts. It is about those realities that safely hide behind the veil of luxe. These 13 short stories are from the darkest, bottomless pits of hell. These first-hand tales of horror are by stuff luxury is made of, straight from their heart, leaving a trail of blood.”
“My objective with the Luxe Duology is to expand the scope of luxury beyond ‘price tags’ and make it more inclusive so that more and more people can start appreciating, understanding and accepting luxury as an integral part of their and not shun it as something that belongs to another world,” he said.
The foreword of the book has been written by Bibek Debroy, Chairman, Prime Minister’s Economic Advisory Council. “If there is one person who is eminently qualified enough to write about luxury it is Mahul," said Debroy.
(Reporting by Tirna Chatterjee)
- Exide enters e-rickshaw business
- Maestro Tarun Bhattacharya’s philanthropic Santoor Ashram set to hit the shores of USA
- To meet demand for skilled workers in Japan Sona Yukti to train 100,000 in Japanese language
- Robotic Surgery extends its wings to Joint Replacement
- Rhitom Sarkar’s successful Canadian musical sojourn
- Starmark holds several book-signing sessions in September
- Tobacco Free West Bengal Campaign joins hands with five Durga Puja pandals
- Starmark, in association with Bee Books, hosts the launch of Dilip Datta’s book ‘Swami Vivekananda: On Life to Budget’
- Gurgaon's The Art Lounge showcases dying batali art of Bengal and Kerala mural paintings
- Important to revisit people involved with writers' movement: Shabana Azmi on father Kaifi Azmi ahead of KAIFINAMA screening at SALA
New Delhi: Airline GoAir has announced pre-Diwali 24-hour deal wherein customers can book tickets for as low as Rs 1296 onwards (inclusive of taxes) for international and domestic routes.
New Delhi: EaseMyTrip, one of the players in the Online Travel Aggregators segment, is offering packages at Rs. 11,060.
New Delhi: EaseMyTrip is offering discount on travel fares on festival Diwali.