NITN | @notintownlive | 10 Oct 2018
Kolkata, October 10 (NITN): Luxury commentator and author launched his second book ‘Dark Luxe’ in the presence of academician and author Professor Alok Kumar, senior journalist and photographer Kounteya Sinha and senior journalist, graphic novelist and illustrator of the book Sumit Moitra.
The book is published by Srishti Publishers.
The book is the second of the ‘Luxe Duology’ series, the first being ‘Decoding Luxe’.
The series explores the uncharted dark side of luxury.
‘Dark Luxe’ is an anthology of 13 short stories on luxury.
While the first book of the series was a non-fiction, the second book is a fiction; the series starts with dazzle of luxury and finishes with the darkness in it.
Mahul Brahma is a luxury commentator and columnist. He is also an award-winning communicator.
He is Head-CSR, Corporate Communications and Branding of mjunction, a TATA group company.
He has been has been a senior journalist for a decade with Economic Times, CNBC TV18, Reuters and India partner of New York Times.
Talking about the book, Brahma said, “Dark Luxe is not about the dreams, it is about the nightmares. The stories about the dark life of luxury are figments of my imagination, but certainly not limited by it. These tales are entwined with the historic evolution of these luxury brands. When we think of luxury, we always think of dazzle. But we never even touch upon the darkness that silently hides behind this luxe. It is always about glam and glitz. Behind this razzle-dazzle, there another life. A life filled with lust, hatred, jealousy, anger. Luxury is just a silent witness to the depth of darkness of human hearts. It is about those realities that safely hide behind the veil of luxe. These 13 short stories are from the darkest, bottomless pits of hell. These first-hand tales of horror are by stuff luxury is made of, straight from their heart, leaving a trail of blood.”
“My objective with the Luxe Duology is to expand the scope of luxury beyond ‘price tags’ and make it more inclusive so that more and more people can start appreciating, understanding and accepting luxury as an integral part of their and not shun it as something that belongs to another world,” he said.
The foreword of the book has been written by Bibek Debroy, Chairman, Prime Minister’s Economic Advisory Council. “If there is one person who is eminently qualified enough to write about luxury it is Mahul," said Debroy.
(Reporting by Tirna Chatterjee)
- Kolkata gets a chance to celebrate the Lepcha New Year
- Author interview: Rahul Tiwari explains the reasons behind writing Parishram
- Author interview: Nobody is alone in this world believes Susmita Chatterjee
- Book review: 'How to Become a Top Performing Individual' packs in some timely survival techniques
- Book review: Poems that explore the many aspects of life
- Book review: 'CoMa Chose Life' is for those who want to enjoy life to the fullest
- Book review: Parishram or hard work is the key to success
- India urged to bridge gap between evidence and policy in tackling women’s cancers
- Kolkata needs more art spaces for young artists, says White Cube art gallery director Subhamay Basu
- Author interview: Kay S talks about her book 'Unfinished'
US railroad operator Amtrak has launched a deal offering rooms for two for the price of one for a select range of destinations across America. The offer is valid for journeys made between January 7 and May 23, 2019.
Hong Kong, Nov 22 (NITN): Cathay Pacific is offering up to USD 1,000 off on Business Class as part of its Black Friday sale in US to Asia flights.
Ho Chi Minh City, Oct 24 (IBNS/NITN): Vietjet is offering two million super-promotional tickets priced from only VND0 (conditions apply).