NITN | @notintownlive | 04 Apr 2019
Kolkata, Apr 4: Protyusha Mitra shall present her 1st solo exhibition, Casement, from Apr 7 at White Box Janus, 187 Park Street.
The exhibition will continue till Apr 21.
The inauguration of the exhibition will take place at 6:30 pm on 7th April.
The exhibition will run between 2 pm and 7 pm.
Speaking about her works, Protyusha said: "The basic idea of my work is the journey of change. The continuous contradictions with the cohabiting objects or incidents. My concern, however, is not in its criticism; but rather on depicting the rapid changes. Scenes that were a part of our everyday lives for decades, are in sharp contrasts with the ‘new’ and the ‘artificial’.
I love to explore with various mediums & materials. Not necessarily realistic but, different spaces, obstacles, motifs and designs, play a vital role in my paintings. Windows or it is better to say suggestion of windows constantly came into my work as a metaphorical and in-between space of the two different worlds which reflect the contrasts."
About his latest work, Mitra added, "Recently, I have been working on discarded pieces of wooden window panels. Consciously chosen, because the wooden window of older houses has been on a journey of its own. The scars, the rusty nail marks, the uncountable layers of colours are the witnesses to the personal and social history. These window panels have all once been the pride of both grand mansions and humble dwellings. They are soaked in nostalgia and are markers of time travel. These painted spaces can bring about a visual twist, a way to re-imagine the spaces, before they change or be demolished.
Architecture plays a salient role in my works. I use discarded, decayed wooden pieces, which themselves carry history, often manipulated by man, to portray the gray cityscape and distortions of the natural view. A continuous process of change and contrast."
- Myanmar’s Cardinal Bo lauds India’s disaster management efforts; calls for peace and greater use of Bible in life & mission
- Prosenjit Chatterjee, Srijit Mukherji launch Conundrum: Subhas Bose’s life after death
- Kolkata: Lokshilpa O Karukriti Mela held at Jorasanko Thakurbari
- Easiest way to target women is by aiming at her sexuality: Seema Goswami
- Author interview: Sheela Agarwal talks about her book 'Saral Hindi Byakaran'
- Thalassaemia Free India: Cafe Annyo rut-E, Golf Green, Rotary Club of Calcutta Metro City launch financial year calendar
- Kolkata: ICCR, PLAY ON and Rotary Club of Calcutta Metro City hosts Sachetanata
- Book review: The crucial '52 Steps' in the life of RJ Den
- Book review: 'I'm Fine' tries to unscramble the teenage mind
- Creative Arts holds day-long theatre carnival for children Dramebaazi 2
Qatar National Tourism Council (QNTC) has announced a special summer travel scheme, to run from June 4 to August 16 this year, which includes travel, retail and hospitality offers.
New Delhi, May 6 (NITN): EaseMyTrip (EMT), one of the leading Online Travel Aggregators of India, is offering a set of deals on the eve of Mother’s day on May 12.
Mumbai, Feb 21: : In continuation with the successful launch of itsin-flight gift delivery initiative, on the occasion of Valentine'sDay, Jet Airways, India’s premier, full-service internationalairline, will offer guests up to 50% discount* on tickets booked from21st–25th February, 2019.