NITN | @notintownlive | 04 Apr 2019
Kolkata, Apr 4: Protyusha Mitra shall present her 1st solo exhibition, Casement, from Apr 7 at White Box Janus, 187 Park Street.
The exhibition will continue till Apr 21.
The inauguration of the exhibition will take place at 6:30 pm on 7th April.
The exhibition will run between 2 pm and 7 pm.
Speaking about her works, Protyusha said: "The basic idea of my work is the journey of change. The continuous contradictions with the cohabiting objects or incidents. My concern, however, is not in its criticism; but rather on depicting the rapid changes. Scenes that were a part of our everyday lives for decades, are in sharp contrasts with the ‘new’ and the ‘artificial’.
I love to explore with various mediums & materials. Not necessarily realistic but, different spaces, obstacles, motifs and designs, play a vital role in my paintings. Windows or it is better to say suggestion of windows constantly came into my work as a metaphorical and in-between space of the two different worlds which reflect the contrasts."
About his latest work, Mitra added, "Recently, I have been working on discarded pieces of wooden window panels. Consciously chosen, because the wooden window of older houses has been on a journey of its own. The scars, the rusty nail marks, the uncountable layers of colours are the witnesses to the personal and social history. These window panels have all once been the pride of both grand mansions and humble dwellings. They are soaked in nostalgia and are markers of time travel. These painted spaces can bring about a visual twist, a way to re-imagine the spaces, before they change or be demolished.
Architecture plays a salient role in my works. I use discarded, decayed wooden pieces, which themselves carry history, often manipulated by man, to portray the gray cityscape and distortions of the natural view. A continuous process of change and contrast."
- Starmark holds discussion between architect Anjan Mitra and author Joanne Taylor
- Veer Savarkar was vilified and maligned: Author Vikram Sampath
- Author interview: Gautam Maitra on his recently published book 'Human-Alien Encounter Of The Modern Kind'
- Author interview: Pratima Dhar on why she wanted her book of Bengali poems translated
- West Bengal excels in Tenpin Bowling Championship 2019
- Starmark hosts launch of Shreya Sen-Handley’s Strange Stories
- Corporate honchos come together at 8th Annual CBAI bridge tournament, Sachin Tendulkar joins
- Book review: Jasbeer Singh's poetic thoughts on the emotions of life
- Every single question in media turns into whataboutery nowadays: Sandeep Bhushan
- Author interview: Poet Jasbeer Singh on his book of poems titled 'Walking With My Soul'
New Delhi: Airline GoAir has extended the fee waiver on cancellation or rescheduling over the present situation in Jammu and Kashmir.
New Delhi: Airline Vistara has introduced direct flights from Delhi to Indore.
Doha: Airline Qatar Airways has come up with an offer to travel the world at a ticket price with 30 per cent discount on it.