NITN | @notintownlive | 18 Apr 2019
Kolkata, Apr 9 (NITN): Bookstore chain Starmark last month paid tribute to late Indian author Nabendu Ghosh on the his 102nd birth anniversary.
To pay tribute, an event titled as Nabendu Ghosh: A Tribute was hosted at Starmark's South City mall outlet was hosted on Apr 27.
It was an evening of reliving memories, with readings from Ghosh's works, and the participation of Sirshendu Mukhopadhyay, Ratnottama Sengupta, Ramanjit Kaur and Sreemoyee Piu Kundu.
With 30 novels, 15 short story collections, and 70 scripts to his credit, Nabendu Ghosh was "a Man of Literature in Cinema and a Man of Cinema in Literature," says actor-director Nitish Bharadwaj, who debuted on the national screen with Trishagni, a National Award winning film directed by Nabendu Ghosh. He was also the screenplay writer of this film based on a Saradindu Bandyopadhyay’s story Moru O Sangho.
Born in 1917 in Dhaka, Nabendu Ghosh was a multi-faceted personality—he was writer, director, painter and a dancer.
His stories range from love found and lost to tales of the supernatural. Ghosh traced the inscrutable ways of the human heart.
Nabendu Ghosh shot into literary eminence with Daak Diye Jai, on the Quit India movement. Bimal Roy, an avid reader, saw in the visual quality of his writings the makings of a screen playwright. In the post-Partition years, when Urdu was declared the state language of east Pakistan, although 95 percent of the populace spoke Bengali, the Kolkata-based books and films market too suffered a setback. The director invited the writer to join his team when he set out for Bombay, which was drawing people from Lahore and Lucknow too.
- Starmark holds discussion between architect Anjan Mitra and author Joanne Taylor
- Veer Savarkar was vilified and maligned: Author Vikram Sampath
- Author interview: Gautam Maitra on his recently published book 'Human-Alien Encounter Of The Modern Kind'
- Author interview: Pratima Dhar on why she wanted her book of Bengali poems translated
- West Bengal excels in Tenpin Bowling Championship 2019
- Starmark hosts launch of Shreya Sen-Handley’s Strange Stories
- Corporate honchos come together at 8th Annual CBAI bridge tournament, Sachin Tendulkar joins
- Book review: Jasbeer Singh's poetic thoughts on the emotions of life
- Every single question in media turns into whataboutery nowadays: Sandeep Bhushan
- Author interview: Poet Jasbeer Singh on his book of poems titled 'Walking With My Soul'
New Delhi: Airline GoAir has extended the fee waiver on cancellation or rescheduling over the present situation in Jammu and Kashmir.
New Delhi: Airline Vistara has introduced direct flights from Delhi to Indore.
Doha: Airline Qatar Airways has come up with an offer to travel the world at a ticket price with 30 per cent discount on it.