NITN | @notintownlive | 18 Apr 2019
Kolkata, Apr 9 (NITN): Bookstore chain Starmark last month paid tribute to late Indian author Nabendu Ghosh on the his 102nd birth anniversary.
To pay tribute, an event titled as Nabendu Ghosh: A Tribute was hosted at Starmark's South City mall outlet was hosted on Apr 27.
It was an evening of reliving memories, with readings from Ghosh's works, and the participation of Sirshendu Mukhopadhyay, Ratnottama Sengupta, Ramanjit Kaur and Sreemoyee Piu Kundu.
With 30 novels, 15 short story collections, and 70 scripts to his credit, Nabendu Ghosh was "a Man of Literature in Cinema and a Man of Cinema in Literature," says actor-director Nitish Bharadwaj, who debuted on the national screen with Trishagni, a National Award winning film directed by Nabendu Ghosh. He was also the screenplay writer of this film based on a Saradindu Bandyopadhyay’s story Moru O Sangho.
Born in 1917 in Dhaka, Nabendu Ghosh was a multi-faceted personality—he was writer, director, painter and a dancer.
His stories range from love found and lost to tales of the supernatural. Ghosh traced the inscrutable ways of the human heart.
Nabendu Ghosh shot into literary eminence with Daak Diye Jai, on the Quit India movement. Bimal Roy, an avid reader, saw in the visual quality of his writings the makings of a screen playwright. In the post-Partition years, when Urdu was declared the state language of east Pakistan, although 95 percent of the populace spoke Bengali, the Kolkata-based books and films market too suffered a setback. The director invited the writer to join his team when he set out for Bombay, which was drawing people from Lahore and Lucknow too.
- Myanmar’s Cardinal Bo lauds India’s disaster management efforts; calls for peace and greater use of Bible in life & mission
- Prosenjit Chatterjee, Srijit Mukherji launch Conundrum: Subhas Bose’s life after death
- Kolkata: Lokshilpa O Karukriti Mela held at Jorasanko Thakurbari
- Easiest way to target women is by aiming at her sexuality: Seema Goswami
- Author interview: Sheela Agarwal talks about her book 'Saral Hindi Byakaran'
- Thalassaemia Free India: Cafe Annyo rut-E, Golf Green, Rotary Club of Calcutta Metro City launch financial year calendar
- Kolkata: ICCR, PLAY ON and Rotary Club of Calcutta Metro City hosts Sachetanata
- Book review: The crucial '52 Steps' in the life of RJ Den
- Book review: 'I'm Fine' tries to unscramble the teenage mind
- Creative Arts holds day-long theatre carnival for children Dramebaazi 2
Qatar National Tourism Council (QNTC) has announced a special summer travel scheme, to run from June 4 to August 16 this year, which includes travel, retail and hospitality offers.
New Delhi, May 6 (NITN): EaseMyTrip (EMT), one of the leading Online Travel Aggregators of India, is offering a set of deals on the eve of Mother’s day on May 12.
Mumbai, Feb 21: : In continuation with the successful launch of itsin-flight gift delivery initiative, on the occasion of Valentine'sDay, Jet Airways, India’s premier, full-service internationalairline, will offer guests up to 50% discount* on tickets booked from21st–25th February, 2019.