NITN | @notintownlive | 15 Aug 2019
Kolkata, Aug 15: Senior citizen members of Pronam - a joint initiative and project of The Bengal and Kolkata Police for the elderly in the city - on Thursday hoisted the National Tricolour at a function held at the compound of Ballygunge Police Station.
The members hoisted the National Flag in presence of The Bengal officials Arindam Sil, June Maliah and Secretary-General, Sundeep Bhutoria. Raksha Bandhan was also celebrated with great enthusiasm as many police personnel tied rakhis on senior citizens of Pronam and many senior citizens also reciprocated.
"Pronam at present has over 16,000 senior citizens as its members. The Bengal, which is a partner of Kolkata Police in the project, is mulling the possibility of extending the Pronam project to cover more senior citizens. By 2050 India would be hit by a 'silver tsunami' or a greying population of 324 million senior citizens.
Hence, there is a need for initiating more projects like Pronam for the elderly in India," said Sundeep Bhutoria, Secretary-General, The Bengal.
Kolkata Police have taken a special drive to extend protection to the senior citizens of Kolkata and instil confidence in them in the wake of recent untoward incidents against the elderly. The Pronam project is also supported by Shree Cement Limited as a part of their CSR initiative.
According to a national survey report on Elder Abuse in India, a large number of elderly are unaware of existing laws to protect them. The feeling of being neglected is widespread.
Sensitizing the society about the plight of our elderly is a mammoth task that requires a gargantuan pan-Indian effort.
The maximum number of the senior citizens felt that the elderly should be given protection by law enforcing agencies followed by home visits. It is estimated that India has well over 100 million senior citizens (above 60 years) in India and growing.
- Kolkata's CK Birla Hospitals - BMB to offer 30 cardiac angiographies to deserving patients this year
- Author interview: Sumeidha Iyer talks about her book 'Before I Met You'
- Book review: A self-help Mathematics guide to help those appearing for competitve exxaminations
- Etihad Airways announces subscription-based TravelPass for their frequent flyer guests
- Krishi Bikash Shilpa Kendra, an enterprise under Ministry of MSME, launches national website
- Jogen Chowdhury and Goutam Ghose to steer socio-cultural city NGO The Bengal
- We should teach men in our lives: Author Aparna Jain on sexual harassment towards women
- Indian Wood Products (IWP) draws up growth roadmap
- Book review: Chef Sourabh Angarkar takes readers on a journey through the world of herbs and spices
- Book Review: 'Before I Met You' is about a youngs girl's dilemma in life, torn between the mother and the lover
Mumbai/NITN: Strengthening its presence in the Gulf, Asia's airline GoAir has announced the new daily direct flights between Doha and Mumbai.
New Delhi/NITN: Airline IndiGo is offering 15 per cent cashback on booking flights through HDFC Bank.
NewDelhi/Shirdi/NITN: Airline IndiGo introduced a non-stop flight service from New Delhi to Shirdi on Monday.