NITN | @notintownlive | 30 Nov 2017
Kolkata, Nov 30 (NITN): To encourage the traditional mask makers of north Bengal and to pave the way for research and documentation of this art form, an eight-day workshop was recently organised under the aegis of West Bengal State Akademi of Dance Drama Music and Visual Arts, Rabindra Bharati University, and the Lalit Kala Akademi, Regional Centre, Kolkata.
The workshop focused on the making of traditional masks of the Rajbanshi, Rabha and Mech communities of northern West Bengal and was held at Moulani, Mal Block, Jalpaiguri district, West Bengal.
According to the organisers, the objectives of holding this workshop as a community-based initiative of the two Akademies at Moulani, Mal Block, Jalpaiguri district itself were
· to encourage in various ways the gurus and others involved in the making of these masks and build up their confidence mainly by making their work more widely known;
· to undertake the research and documentation efforts required to know more about these masks and the rituals and ritualistic dances of the three communities in which they have been used for centuries, and,
· on the basis of the research and documentation conducted, to take appropriate steps aimed at the preservation of these masks and rituals and ritualistic dances with which they are associated, which together constitute a very important centuries-old art form now threatened with extinction, with the techniques of mask making not having been documented and maintained in a scientific and organise manner, and bearing in mind the great importance these masks have assumed in the lives of the Rajbanshis, Rabhas and Mechs, taking into account their beliefs in animism and totems, and their perception of masks as instruments of revelations of pathways to the worlds of gods, other invisible powers and the unknown.
The ten gurus (teachers) who took part in this workshop were Madhumangal Malakar, Bhupen Deshi, Madhab Sarkar and Suresh Ray from the Rajbanshi community, Shantiram Rabha, Jiban Rabha and Jarpan Rabha from the Rabha community, and Samir Thakur, Rajib Thakur and Rojen Narjinary from the Mech community.
- Kolkata gets a chance to celebrate the Lepcha New Year
- Author interview: Rahul Tiwari explains the reasons behind writing Parishram
- Author interview: Nobody is alone in this world believes Susmita Chatterjee
- Book review: 'How to Become a Top Performing Individual' packs in some timely survival techniques
- Book review: Poems that explore the many aspects of life
- Book review: 'CoMa Chose Life' is for those who want to enjoy life to the fullest
- Book review: Parishram or hard work is the key to success
- India urged to bridge gap between evidence and policy in tackling women’s cancers
- Kolkata needs more art spaces for young artists, says White Cube art gallery director Subhamay Basu
- Author interview: Kay S talks about her book 'Unfinished'
US railroad operator Amtrak has launched a deal offering rooms for two for the price of one for a select range of destinations across America. The offer is valid for journeys made between January 7 and May 23, 2019.
Hong Kong, Nov 22 (NITN): Cathay Pacific is offering up to USD 1,000 off on Business Class as part of its Black Friday sale in US to Asia flights.
Ho Chi Minh City, Oct 24 (IBNS/NITN): Vietjet is offering two million super-promotional tickets priced from only VND0 (conditions apply).