NITN | @notintownlive | 01 Dec 2017
In India arranged marriage has ruled in spite of today’s youth enthusiastically celebrating the Valentine’s Day.
Maybe the entire process has been a bit modified so as to suit the mindset of today’s generation, but the central idea of parents deciding the future of their children still runs thick.
Some may feel it's boring, others may feel it's stupidity, but the topic of arranged marriage has always kept many of us interested.
'One Crazy Afternoon' by author Amrita Kolay, published by Power Publishers, promises to take a hilarious ride through the arranged marriage mayhem that typical Indian families love exploring.
It reveals the sweet and bitter truths of arranged marriages.It hits upon the truth behind the veils of an arranged marriage.
When Amit learns that his mother has found a perfect bride, he is not fully convinced.
Despite stalking her in social media and growing a slight liking for her, he feels there is more to know and he is all set to take the journey.
He may belong from a traditional Punjabi family but he is far from conventional.
So he decides to meet (Alia) in private and ends up getting ridiculed by her entire family.
The author has added twists and humour to the book which makes it more readable.
The language is simple and the mood of the book is identifiable.
The author really has quirky outlook towards marriage and that is amply evident in her plots.
The story points out how conservative we still are. It shows how harmful self absorption can be.
The story is diverse in narration, characters and in theme and yet bound together by a common thread of marriage.
The writer has done a great job and will instantly connect to the readers.
The book is fresh, bitingly perceptive and totally up to the minute look at one young man’s fight to free himself from family expectations and to be himself free to dance to his own tunes.
The book will soon be releasing on power-publishers.com, flipkart.com and ebay.in.
(Reviewed by Poonam Chatterjee)
- Kolkata gets a chance to celebrate the Lepcha New Year
- Author interview: Rahul Tiwari explains the reasons behind writing Parishram
- Author interview: Nobody is alone in this world believes Susmita Chatterjee
- Book review: 'How to Become a Top Performing Individual' packs in some timely survival techniques
- Book review: Poems that explore the many aspects of life
- Book review: 'CoMa Chose Life' is for those who want to enjoy life to the fullest
- Book review: Parishram or hard work is the key to success
- India urged to bridge gap between evidence and policy in tackling women’s cancers
- Kolkata needs more art spaces for young artists, says White Cube art gallery director Subhamay Basu
- Author interview: Kay S talks about her book 'Unfinished'
US railroad operator Amtrak has launched a deal offering rooms for two for the price of one for a select range of destinations across America. The offer is valid for journeys made between January 7 and May 23, 2019.
Hong Kong, Nov 22 (NITN): Cathay Pacific is offering up to USD 1,000 off on Business Class as part of its Black Friday sale in US to Asia flights.
Ho Chi Minh City, Oct 24 (IBNS/NITN): Vietjet is offering two million super-promotional tickets priced from only VND0 (conditions apply).