NITN | @notintownlive | 06 Jan 2018
Kolkata, Jan 5 (NITN): The seven-day Annual Art Exhibition 2017-18 of the West Bengal State Akademi of Dance Drama Music and Visual Arts, Rabindra Bharati University, was inaugurated at the Kolkata-based Indian Council of Cultural Relations (ICCR) by actor Sabyasachi Chakraborty.
Gautam Dey, Regional Director, ICCR, Kolkata was the chief guest.
The inaugural function was presided over by Prof. Sabyasachi Basu Ray Chaudhury, Vice Chancellor, Rabindra Bharati University, and also Chairman of the Akademi.
The Exhibition, organised with the support of the Rabindranath Tagore Centre, Indian Council for Cultural Relations, Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India, is held by the Akademi every year to encourage promising and talented artists of West Bengal working in areas of traditional (patachitra, dokra, terracotta, wood carvings, mats, etc.) and contemporary art (paintings, drawings, graphics, sculptures and photographs).
This year, a total of 143 traditional art and contemporary art items were selected for display.
The entries were judged by artists Prof. Shankar Ghosh, Swapnesh Chowdhury, Atanu Paul, Atin Basak and Arindam Chatterjee, and Prof. Ajoy Ghosh and Prof. Ratan Acharya.
The award winners in the contemporary art category were Annwesha Malakar (Painting), Progga Paul (Drawing), Pratap Manna (Drawing), Khokan Giri (Graphics), Bishwamita Das (Sculpture) and Anupam Paul (Photography). The awardees in the traditional art category were Mukta Rani Jana (Mat), Asma Chitrakar (Patachitra), Mantaj Chitrakar (Patachitra) and Ananda Sarkar (Wood Carving).
The Annual Art Exhibition 2017-18 is being held at the ICCR’s Bengal Art Gallery, Abanindranath Tagore Gallery and the Sculpture Court, and will continue till January 9, 2018, from 3 pm to 8 pm daily.
- India urged to bridge gap between evidence and policy in tackling women’s cancers
- Kolkata needs more art spaces for young artists, says White Cube art gallery director Subhamay Basu
- Author interview: Kay S talks about her book 'Unfinished'
- Edinburgh Napier University ties up with Prabha Khaitan Foundation
- Love for writing made me quit my job: Durjoy Datta
- Poets gather at EZCC in Kolkata for Linguistic Harmony Day
- School children present plays to mark Mahatma Gandhi's 150th birth anniversary
- Author Tanushree Ghosh brings up some pertinent issues regarding immigration in her book ‘From An-Other Land'
- Prosenjit Chatterjee unveils Dr. Jaishree Sharad's book Skin Rules
- IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society hold their annual International Microwave and RF Conference
US railroad operator Amtrak has launched a deal offering rooms for two for the price of one for a select range of destinations across America. The offer is valid for journeys made between January 7 and May 23, 2019.
Hong Kong, Nov 22 (NITN): Cathay Pacific is offering up to USD 1,000 off on Business Class as part of its Black Friday sale in US to Asia flights.
Ho Chi Minh City, Oct 24 (IBNS/NITN): Vietjet is offering two million super-promotional tickets priced from only VND0 (conditions apply).