NITN | @notintownlive | 10 Apr 2018
Varanasi, Apr 10 (NITN): Famous among locals and visitors, Sankat Mochan Sangeet Samaroh is a yearly music celebration held annually in Varanasi
This yearly celebration holds a unique place in the hearts of visitors who appreciate music that touches their hearts and souls.
The 6-day-long celebration is a tribute to Lord Hanuman.
Santoor legend Pdt Tarun Bhattacharya performed at iconic music festival, "Sankatmochan Sangeet Samaroh".
He played Raag Basant Mukhari and was ably assisted by Sanju Sahai on Tabla.
Taking the stage at almost the break of dawn, the maestro brought the audience alive by playing Alaap Jor and Jhanptaal and a conversation "sawal-jawab"
The raga Basant Mukhari is widely acknowledged as the Hindustani adaptation of the Carnatic raga Vakulabharanam.
The Hindustani avatar is associated with the eclectic initiatives of S.N. Ratanjankar, the founder principal of the Maris College of Music in Lucknow.
Some of the greatest musical minds of the country have, in recent years, worked on giving the raga a Hindustani personality.
Despite this, the raga remains, to this day, subject to a considerable diversity in treatment.
The import of Vakulabharanam from the Carnatic tradition was, in fact, more like a second coming for this melodic entity.
The first was a mature raga called Hijaz, a melody of Persian origin, documented by V.N. Bhatkhande in the 1930s.
This year saw the felicitation of eminent music personalities like Sonu Nigam and Javed Akhtar at the festival.
- Priya Entertainment MD Arijit Dutta wants the younger generation to get more involved with tree plantations
- From College Girl to Cover Girl
- Sohini Roychowdhury's musical renditions enthrall the audience at Thumri Festival
- Public Relations – Present and Future
- Rotary’s Role in Rubella & Measles
- Kolkata: Sohini Roychowdhury enchants audience by her Thumri presentation
- Book review: Dr Uttara Singh finds slums are a transitional settlement in the fabric of urban society
- Book review: The Impact of Social Media Marketing on Brand Loyalty in India is a timely book by Murali S
- Author interview: Vijay Pratap Singh on his debut book Wet Petals
- Veteran actor Soumitra Chatterjee lauds popular film critic Pradip Biswas's emergence as a poet
Sydney: If you are planning a holiday in Australia from India, then this is the time as the air-tickets are available at unbeatable prices.
Cologne, Mar 17 (NITN): Deutsche Lufthansa AG, the largest German airline, is offering special sale to all travelers to fly off to and travel in Europe and North America at cheap prices.
New Delhi, Nov 25 (NITN): With an aim to provide flexibility to the customers to re-schedule their flights without worrying about the change fee, IndiGo is offering its special product called 'Flexi Fare' at different price levels.