The UNWTO in its barometer ranks countries in terms of their ITAs. So far only the figures of FTAs were compiled in India.
However, now India has started compiling the data arrivals of Non-Resident Indians (NRIs), also.
The number of NRI arrivals during 2014 and 2015 were 5.43 million and 5.26 million, respectively. Accordingly, the numbers of ITAs in India during 2014 and 2015 were 13.11 million and 13.28 million, respectively.
The data of ITAs, containing both the arrivals of NRIs and FTAs, is now as per International recommendations.
Due to this inclusion, India’s improved rank reflecting the true and comparable scenario has now been acknowledged by the UNWTO. As per the latest UNWTO Barometer for March 2017, Rank of India in International Tourist Arrivals in both 2014 and 2015 is 24 as against the previous rank of 41 and 40 in the year 2014 and 2015, respectively. With this inclusion the share of India in the ITAs has also increased from 0.68% (based on FTAs) to 1.12% in the year 2015.
Earlier India’s rank in the Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index (TTCI), 2017 had also shown a 12 places jump from 2015. Rank of India in TTCI Report of 2017 was 40th as compared to 52nd in 2015, 65th in 2013 and 68th in 2011.
While UNWTO gives ranking in terms of numbers of ITAs, TTCI is composed of 14 pillars organized into four sub-indices of ‘Enabling Environment’, ‘Travel & Trade Policy and Enabling Conditions’, ‘Infrastructure’ and ‘Natural and Cultural Resources.
- Mumbai: The Taj Mahal Palace secures India's first trademark registration for its iconic hotel building and dome
- Indian Railways to run special tourist train to Gandhi circuit
- Qatar Airways say their flights operating smoothly, announces new international flights
- New age theatrical show La Clique Noel to reignite Edinburgh’s Christmas Festival in 2017
- Bhutan: Mountain Echoes Literary Festival 2017 to focus on global issues, to be held from August 25-27
- Destination Canada says there is 33 % growth in Indian arrivals
- SpiceJet takes off on UDAN routes
- Gone Viral: Indonesian 'Rainbow Village' is the cynosure of netizen's eyes
- The Peninsula Chicago appoints Toni Robertson as Executive Chef
- Kolkata's Monkey Bar to celebrate World Hamburger Day
New Delhi, June 12 (NITN): Keeping the arrival of Monsoon in India in mind, travel major Cox & Kings has introduced a series of discounted packages in the domestic market.
Abu Dhabi, Jun 8 (IBNS): Etihad Airways, the national airline of the United Arab Emirates, is promoting a '48-Hour Abu Dhabi Stopover Programme' in Abu Dhabi with curated programmes of up to two nights’ accommodation for passengers who transit through its Abu Dhabi base.
Mumbai, May 18 (NITN): With the onset of the holiday season, JetEscapes Holidays from Jet Airways announced its latest line-up of brand new, all-inclusive holiday options for 2017 summer season.