20 May 2017
The UNWTO in its barometer ranks countries in terms of their ITAs. So far only the figures of FTAs were compiled in India.
However, now India has started compiling the data arrivals of Non-Resident Indians (NRIs), also.
The number of NRI arrivals during 2014 and 2015 were 5.43 million and 5.26 million, respectively. Accordingly, the numbers of ITAs in India during 2014 and 2015 were 13.11 million and 13.28 million, respectively.
The data of ITAs, containing both the arrivals of NRIs and FTAs, is now as per International recommendations.
Due to this inclusion, India’s improved rank reflecting the true and comparable scenario has now been acknowledged by the UNWTO. As per the latest UNWTO Barometer for March 2017, Rank of India in International Tourist Arrivals in both 2014 and 2015 is 24 as against the previous rank of 41 and 40 in the year 2014 and 2015, respectively. With this inclusion the share of India in the ITAs has also increased from 0.68% (based on FTAs) to 1.12% in the year 2015.
Earlier India’s rank in the Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index (TTCI), 2017 had also shown a 12 places jump from 2015. Rank of India in TTCI Report of 2017 was 40th as compared to 52nd in 2015, 65th in 2013 and 68th in 2011.
While UNWTO gives ranking in terms of numbers of ITAs, TTCI is composed of 14 pillars organized into four sub-indices of ‘Enabling Environment’, ‘Travel & Trade Policy and Enabling Conditions’, ‘Infrastructure’ and ‘Natural and Cultural Resources.
- It’s time for Retreat Taiwan!
- WTTC announces Christopher J. Nassetta as chairman-elect
- TripShelf partners with Abu Dhabi to promote tourism
- India holds Paryatan Parv to popularise tourism in the country
- Emirates and flydubai partnership announces first codeshare routes
- Thai Lion Air to operate twice a week flight on Mumbai-Don Mueang (Bangkok) route
- Luxperience: More than a travel trade show
- Tourism Australia appoints Parineeti Chopra as brand ambassador
- Nusa Dua Beach Hotel & Spa of Indonesia win multiple tourism awards
- India emerges among high growth tourist markets for Vienna
Mumbai, July 29 (NITN): Jet Airways, an airline, on Saturday announced special fares for its services to Amsterdam and Paris for guests travelling to Europe from across its domestic network.
Gurgaon, June 28 (NITN): Airline major Spice Jet on Wednesday announced the Mega Monsoon Sale with one way all inclusive starting fares as low as Rs 699.
New Delhi, June 12 (NITN): Keeping the arrival of Monsoon in India in mind, travel major Cox & Kings has introduced a series of discounted packages in the domestic market.