Not In Town | @notintownlive | 03 Jun 2017
The hillside slum, located in the Semarang city of the tourist nation has been popularly dubbed as the 'Rainbow Village'.
Reports said that the residents were so tired of the filth and melancholy in the shanty, that they used a makeover to turn it into a popular tourist destination.
Over 200 rooms received a makeover, as local resident, with aides from the government and private companies, picked up paintbrushes to spruce up the area (and spice up their lives).
The idea to turn the slum into a tourist hotspot was first pitched by Slamet Widodo, a teacher, as per a BBC report.
Happy with the turnout in recent days, the residents hope that it will improve their living standards.
- Australia showcases tourism treasures in Adelaide
- Jet Airways to celebrate King's Day in Amsterdam, announces new offers
- Uzbekistan Embassy in India launches online campaign “Visit Uzbekistan - 2018”
- Starbucks keeps feet in Kolkata, opens three stores
- It's service over money for Kerala hospitality service provider Sajan
- Japanese, Singaporean passports named the world's most powerful
- Sydney Harbour Bridge hosts first same-sex marriage in Australia
- Disney announces transformative multi-year expansion for Disneyland Paris
- Uzbekistan gears up to promote pilgrimage tourism
- Disneyland Paris Unveils Plans for New Marvel-Themed Attraction
Cologne, Mar 17 (NITN): Deutsche Lufthansa AG, the largest German airline, is offering special sale to all travelers to fly off to and travel in Europe and North America at cheap prices.
New Delhi, Nov 25 (NITN): With an aim to provide flexibility to the customers to re-schedule their flights without worrying about the change fee, IndiGo is offering its special product called 'Flexi Fare' at different price levels.
Athens, Nov 16 (NITN): Greece can surely be the travelers' new and best destination this winter as some flights are offering journeys at low costs.