NITN | @notintownlive | 25 Oct 2018
Central, Oct 25 (IBNS/NITN): Weeks after the British Airways reported a data breach, Hong Kong-based air carrier Cathay Pacific has followed suit.
The said breach has hit an estimated 9.4 million people.
The company said in a statement that data like passport numbers, expired credit card details and email addresses were among the ones siphoned by hackers.
However, it said that there were no evidence that the stolen data were misused.
Apologising to its customers, the airline's chief executive Rupert Hogg said in a statement: "We are very sorry for any concern this data security event may cause our passengers.
"We acted immediately to contain the event, commence a thorough investigation with the assistance of a leading cybersecurity firm, and to further strengthen our IT security measures.
Meanwhile, Cathay Pacific shares took a hit on Thursday following the revelation.
The shares nosedived six percent in Hong Kong, reports said.
Other airlines to have suffered a data breach in recent times are the Delta Airlines and Air Canada.
While Air Canada app was compromised in August, Delta Airlines said that a cyber attack in April exposed credit card details of thousands of its customers.
The British Airlines too suffered a similar fate last month as hackers hacked into its website and app and stole data.
- Gül Baba tomb in Budapest attracts thousands
- The Sharjah Light Festival woos tourists for 2019
- Experience the wonderful Winter Village in Oman
- More than 239 thousand foreign tourists visited Samarkand this year in Uzbekistan, says official
- Etihad Airways launches new economy space
- Jet Airways introduces five new routes, to operate 132 new weekly services this winter
- Cathay Pacific: Data breach affects airline, at least 9.4 million passengers hit
- Norwegian Cruise Line to host Jon Bon Jovi's ‘Runaway to Paradise Cruises' in Spring and Summer 2019
- Uzbekistan Airways to start Mumbai-Tashkent direct flights from Oct end
- Uzbekistan wins National Geographic Traveler Awards
Ho Chi Minh City, Oct 24 (IBNS/NITN): Vietjet is offering two million super-promotional tickets priced from only VND0 (conditions apply).
Mumbai, Sept 3 (NITN) Etihad Airways, the national airline of the United Arab Emirates, has announced a special offer for passengers flying from India to the United States and Europe via its hub, Abu Dhabi.
Sydney: If you are planning a holiday in Australia from India, then this is the time as the air-tickets are available at unbeatable prices.