NITN | @notintownlive | 12 Dec 2018
Experience a tour like no other -- the world famous Sumo sport and the sumo wrestlers have been Japan's greatest gift to the world! At the center of many legends and myths, you can now get an up, close and personal look at the wonderful and interesting world of sumo wrestlers.
Stand on an actual Sumo ring and face off with an ex-Sumo wrestler. Traditionally, not allowed to stand on the Sumo ring, this experience also allows women to experience something that has only been a male bastion.
With this tour, you will be given a lunch or gift ticket, which you can spend on 11 stores. You have the option of skipping lunch, and can exchange the meal voucher for souvenirs, making this tour ideal for people who are pressed for time.
WHERE: The Sumo display happens at Edo Noren, a two-story food and shopping center in Tokyo opened in November 2016 as part of the redevelopment of Ryogoku Station. Ryogoku is the heartland of Japanese sumo and Ryogoku Station is less than five minutes’ walk from the Kokugikan sumo stadium and close to a number of sumo stables or heya – where sumo wrestlers live and train.
Edo Noren has a sumo ring as part of its “Edo era” design and among the dozen or so restaurants in the complex are perfect for tourists. The restaurants offer many Japanese delicacies such as sushi, okonomiyaki, yakitori, noodles, and tempura.
There is a lot to see and do in the Ryogoku area including the Edo-Tokyo Museum, the new Sumida Hokusai Museum, the Ryogoku Fireworks Museum and the Ruins of Kira Yoshinaka’s House, Kira Yoshinaka being the man murdered by the 47 Ronin in the ultimate revenge attack way back in 1703..
Access – How to Get There
Sumida-Ku, Tokyo (JR Ryogoku Station West Exit)
Hours: 10am-11.30pm; closed January 1-2
Note: Sumo experience takes place on every Tuesday from 10:00 am- 11:00 am. Reservation required.
- Palladium Hotel Group continues to remove single-use plastics, reinforces its environmental policy
- Experience some of the world’s rarest species of flora and fauna in Seychelles
- Club Med announces new APAC leadership and regional organisation
- Sammy Yahia appointed as the new Director of Tourism for Israel in India
- Cinnamon Hotels & Resorts showcases Sri Lanka's natural world as sustainable tourism product
- Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Ibiza: Fashion and music take centre stage at 3rd edition
- Repair to the Irish House if you have caught the World Cup fever
- Tel Aviv Pride Parade 2019: Witness one of the biggest LGBTQ celebrations
- Pamper your superhero this Father’s Day with a lavish brunch at JW Marriott Kolkata
- Sunday Brunch with Monkey 47 At Yauatcha Kolkata
Qatar National Tourism Council (QNTC) has announced a special summer travel scheme, to run from June 4 to August 16 this year, which includes travel, retail and hospitality offers.
New Delhi, May 6 (NITN): EaseMyTrip (EMT), one of the leading Online Travel Aggregators of India, is offering a set of deals on the eve of Mother’s day on May 12.
Mumbai, Feb 21: : In continuation with the successful launch of itsin-flight gift delivery initiative, on the occasion of Valentine'sDay, Jet Airways, India’s premier, full-service internationalairline, will offer guests up to 50% discount* on tickets booked from21st–25th February, 2019.