NITN | @notintownlive | 13 Aug 2019
Hong Kong, Aug 13 : Amid anti-government protests, flight check-in has been suspended at Hong Kong International Airport on Tuesday, media reports said.
The airport has been witnessing protest for the past five consecutive days.
Videos on social media show passengers struggling to get through demonstrators, who have been sitting inside blocking departures, reported BBC.
The airport is considered as one of the busiest in the world.
The airport in a statement last month said it welcomed 75.1 million passengers and handled 428,870 flight movements in 2018/19, registering year-on-year increases of 2% and 1.3%, respectively.
Total cargo volume reached 5.06 million tonnes, securing HKIA’s status as the world’s busiest cargo airport for the ninth consecutive year.
It has been more than a month since Hong Kong has been witnessing protests over a controversial extradition bill.
The bill would have enabled extraditions to mainland China.
Hong Kong has witnessed anti-government and pro-democracy protests in recent times.
Image: Hong Kong International Airport Twitter page
- Dubai to bring year end performances for music lovers
- Coldplay chooses Jordan to release their first album in four years 'Everyday Life'
- MakeMyTrip honours Kolkata’s Best Hotels at Star Partner Awards ceremony
- Israel woes Indian tourists with resort city of Eilat
- Seawings offers Heritage Tour to help visitors experience Dubai
- SriLankan Airlines concludes a memorable Melbourne Marathon
- Istanbul and Antalya emerge as key MICE destination for Indian corporates
- Dubai crowned one of the world's top cities in Lonely Planet's 'Best in Travel' list 2020
- The Temi Autumn Festival 2019 to be held from Nov 8 to 10 in Sikkim
- Eighth edition of Dharamshala International Film Festival announces its full line-up
New York/NITN: In-line with its international expansion plans, Indian airline IndiGo on Thursday signed a one-way codeshare agreement with Qatar Airways, world’s best airline as per 2019 World Airline Awards.
Mumbai/NITN: Celebrating its 14th anniversary, airline GoAir has announced special fares ending with “14” as the last two digits across all its 33 destinations.
Mumbai/NITN: EaseMyTrip.com (EMT), the Online Travel Aggregators segment, is aiming to help the customers traveling to and from Mumbai in the wake of Mumbai runway closure.