NITN | @notintownlive | 26 Dec 2022, 02:55 am
Kolkata: West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee on the Xmas eve joined the midnight mass and also formally inaugurated and crib-set and a special exhibition depicting The Rosary Way in Kolkata.
The Rosary Way which is a unique meditation on the life of Lord Jesus was inaugurated by the CM in the presence of Archbishop of Kolkata, Rev Thomas D’Souza, Fr Franklin Menzes, Pro-Vicar, The Cathedral of the Most Holy Rosary (aka Portuguese Church), Abhishek Banerjee, Member of Parliament, Vineet Goyal, Kolkata Police Commissioner and Don Bosco Alumni members Pramode Agarwal and Subrata Ganguly.
The exhibits at the special exhibition, created by Church Art of Kolkata, displayed in front of the Cathedral of the Most Holy Rosary are most apt as 20 panels narrate the story of the announcement of Birth of Jesus till his Resurrection and the glorification of his Mother Mary.
“As in the past years, this year too, as Christians heed to the call of green Christmas, tradition recalls a Catholic Saint who returned to nature by promoting “presepio vivente” - a living Crib - depiction of the birth of Jesus as described in the gospels of Matthew and Luke,” said Franklin Menezes, Pro-Vicar of The Cathedral of the Most Holy Rosary, Burrabazar.
The Cathedral was founded on 1799.
“The set of twenty pictures at the exhibition is a panoramic representation of the various turning points in Lord Jesus’ life considered sacred like birth, baptism, transfiguration, eucharist, crucifixion, resurrection, ascension, descent, assumption, coronation and so on,” said Subrata Ganguly, curator of the exhibition and founder of creative arts firm Church Art.
“Nativity scenes exhibit figures representing the infant Jesus, his mother Mary, and Joseph. Other characters from the nativity story such as shepherds, the Magi, and angels may be displayed near the manger,” said Dominic Gomes, Vicar General, Archdiocese of Calcutta, while commenting on the crib set at the Cathedral.
The Vatican has displayed a scene in St. Peter's Square near its Christmas tree since 1982 and the Pope has for many years blessed the mangers of children assembled in St. Peter's Square for a special ceremony.
In 2015, the first ever crib set depicting Jesus’ birth from India, designed by Kolkata-based organization Church Art, was added to the International Nativity Museum of Bethlehem’s collection of 223 nativity representations from over 93 countries.
- Sona College of Technology powers ISRO rocket that launched Insat-3DS weather satellite
- Vee Technologies named to Global Outsourcing 100 list by IAOP for 9th consecutive year
- NCVET recognises assessment firm HireMee as an Assessment Agency
- Smart India Hackathon 2023: Sona College of Technology student teams emerge winners
- Muskaan and Co-scholastic interactive workshop highlight wisdom of dohas and poetry to school students in New Delhi
- As India surges ahead in digital payments, US plays catch-up
- KGMU exemplifies Uttar Pradesh's Rich 'Ganga-Jamuni' Heritage: Dr Mahendra Bhandari
- Prabha Khaitan Foundation hosts an enriching session of Kalam with Dr Sachchidanand Joshi in Kolkata
- KGMU honours inaugural VC, urologist and robotic surgery champion Mahendra Bhandari with DSc
- Prabha Khaitan Foundation flags off literary journey in Ayodhya, unveils Anant Vijay’s book at the Kitaab event
Tokyo: Airlines were forced to cancel over 300 flights following the collision between a Japan Coast Guard aircraft and a Japan Airlines passenger plane at Tokyo's Haneda Airport on Tuesday evening even as reports said the plane was cleared to land ahead of the tragedy.
New Delhi/NITN: Regular flyers on Jazeera Airways, Kuwait’s low-cost carrier, can now avail a host of discounts and benefits by enrolling for the new membership club introduced by the airline, recently.
Gurugram: Air India, a global airline in India, has initiated the deployment of its recently acquired Boeing 777 aircraft to serve all three non-stop routes from Mumbai to the United States.