NITN | @notintownlive | 24 Oct 2023, 04:21 am
The United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO) has awarded Gujarat's Dhordo village as the 'best tourism village'. Photo Courtesy: GOI
The United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO) has awarded Gujarat's Dhordo village as the 'best tourism village' in the world.
The World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) included the region in the list of Best Tourism Villages 2023.
The accolade recognizes villages that are leading in nurturing rural areas and preserving landscapes, cultural diversity, local values, and culinary traditions.
In this third edition 54 villages from all regions were selected from almost 260 applications.
A further 20 villages have joined the Upgrade Programme, and all 74 villages are now part of the UNWTO Best Tourism Villages Network.
Amazing! Dhordo village in Gujarat gets declared as the Best Tourism Village by United Nations World Tourism Organisation (@UNWTO). Just look at this beautiful place.. wow!! ❤️ #YourNextTrip #VisitDhordo pic.twitter.com/hnlDny81EY— mandira bedi (@mandybedi) October 20, 2023
The villages were named during the UNWTO General Assembly, taking place this week in Samarkand, Uzbekistan.
"Tourism can be a powerful force for inclusivity, empowering local communities and distributing benefits across regions," emphasizes UNWTO Secretary-General Zurab Pololikashvili. "This initiative acknowledges villages that have harnessed tourism as a catalyst for their development and well-being."
Indian PM Narendra Modi appreciated the move and wished the region attracts more tourists visiting it from across the globe.
" Absolutely thrilled to see Dhordo in Kutch being celebrated for its rich cultural heritage and natural beauty. This honour not only showcases the potential of Indian tourism but also the dedication of the people of Kutch in particular," Modi wrote on X.
Absolutely thrilled to see Dhordo in Kutch being celebrated for its rich cultural heritage and natural beauty. This honour not only showcases the potential of Indian tourism but also the dedication of the people of Kutch in particular.— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) October 20, 2023
May Dhordo continue to shine and attract… https://t.co/cWedaTk8LG pic.twitter.com/hfJQrVPg1x
"May Dhordo continue to shine and attract visitors from around the world!" he said. "I’m sharing some memories of my visits to Dhordo in 2009 and 2015. I also invite you all to share your memories from your previous visits to Dhordo. This will inspire more people to visit. And, don’t forget to use #AmazingDhordo," Modi said.
Dhordo is a small village located in Kutch district of Gujarat.
This village is situated within Bhuj taluk on the edge of the India-Pakistan border and is around 86 km from Bhuj.
The village is home to an annual 3-month festival called 'Rann Utsav'.
- Eighth Bahrain Food Festival to be held in February this year
- City of the Taj Mahal gears up for its annual festival; revised dates of the Taj Mahotsav in Agra announced
- Kuda Villingili Resort Maldives woos couples with special Valentine’s Day offers
- UNWTO: Expects global tourism to recover to pre-pandemic levels in 2024 subject to pent-up demand, increased air travel and stronger Asian markets
- Not interested in mass tourism: Mizoram Chief Minister Lalduhoma
- Kuda Villingili Maldives recognized as The Best Honeymoon Hotel 2023 by The White Awards
- Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty enjoys at Kuda Villingili Resort in Maldives with family
- Destinations offering digital nomad visas on the rise, says latest report from World Tourism Organisation
- Kuda Villingili Resort Maldives transforms into carnival land for year-end holidays
- UNWTO names Gujarat's Dhordo as 'best tourism village' of 2023
Tokyo: Airlines were forced to cancel over 300 flights following the collision between a Japan Coast Guard aircraft and a Japan Airlines passenger plane at Tokyo's Haneda Airport on Tuesday evening even as reports said the plane was cleared to land ahead of the tragedy.
New Delhi/NITN: Regular flyers on Jazeera Airways, Kuwait’s low-cost carrier, can now avail a host of discounts and benefits by enrolling for the new membership club introduced by the airline, recently.
Gurugram: Air India, a global airline in India, has initiated the deployment of its recently acquired Boeing 777 aircraft to serve all three non-stop routes from Mumbai to the United States.