News
Travel
Overseas visitors to Australia hits record 7 million

21 May 2015, 03:39 pm

Overseas visitors to Australia hits record 7 million
Sydney, May 21 (NITN): Preliminary data estimates released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) recently show international visitor arrivals to Australia for the 12 months ending March 2015 reached just over seven million – the highest Australia has ever seen.

Tourism Australia Managing Director John O’Sullivan said the figure was an “impressive milestone” and represented year-on-year growth of eight per cent.
 
“It demonstrates the continuing strength of our tourism industry and the resonance of our international marketing through successful campaigns such as Restaurant Australia."
 
“What’s particularly pleasing is that this eight per cent growth in our international numbers is being matched in spending, the key measure of our long term tourism strategy,” said O’Sullivan.
 
Preliminary Overseas Arrivals and Departures estimates for the March quarter show there were 671,600 short-term visitor arrivals to Australia in the month of March 2015, up 12 per cent on the same time last year. This follows preliminary estimates of 715,200 short-term visitor arrivals in February and 539,100 in January 2015.

Akasa Air expands network t ...

Akasa Air has announced the addition of Kozhikode (Calicut) as its 30th destination and 24th domestic stop.

Air New Zealand to host one ...

Air New Zealand has announced plans to host a live inflight concert, ‘SYNTHONY in the Sky’, on Dec 4 aboard Flight NZ1331 from Auckland to Sydney.

Qatar Airways to commence o ...

Qatar Airways will move its New York operations to The New Terminal One at John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) in 2026. As part of the relocation, the airline plans to open a 15,000-square-foot lounge, its first dedicated facility in both New York City and the United States.