NITN | @notintownlive | 07 Jun 2018
Gautam Maitra’s 'Banhi' is the story of a young girl’s journey through life, braving through injustices, crimes, and cruelties that life presented her with, to her final victory.
The book covers a wide range of issues starting from constricting orthodoxy of a rural Indian society to the social and political ups and downs and their impacts on innocent human lives, including the lives of the political rebels and the struggles of women against the merciless ‘Salishi Sabha’ (Kangaroo Court).
Issues of acute casteism, racism, religion, conversion, women’s rights, existential and identity crises, and a multitude of other concerns are in abundance throughout the novel.
The story traces the life of Namita (a member of the Oraon tribe) and her struggles against the “three R’s”, the cruel arbiters of Mahulban village, which form the main plot; the subplots are built around the lives and actions of those surrounding her.
Namita, strong-willed and free-spirited, is humiliated and driven out of her village due to her relationship with an upper class Brahmin boy, Aurobindo. She vows to come back and take revenge, thereby bringing justice to the land of perpetual injustices.
Rescued by some ultra-Leftists, she has no choice but to join them.
Maitra has presented the plight of women in a man’s world, acutely and in graphic detail.
He describes the steps taken by Namita to achieve her goal – returning to the same place from where she was thrown out several years ago.
As free-spirited as a streak of fire, also called ‘Banhi’ in her native tongue, Namita faces whatever life presents her with, to engulf every evil entity and purify, like 'Banhi'.
Maitra’s novel is bound to leave a mark on its readers, with its essence of familiarity through its honest rendering of the society’s dark truths.
It is a story about the perpetual tug of war between good and evil, at once entertaining, fascinating, as well as identifiable at several junctures.
The book is definitely recommended for all kinds of readers, since, once started, it will be impossible to stop till the last page is turned.
The book is priced at Rs 500 and is available from power-publishers.com, flipkart.com and ebay.in.
(Reviewed by Sangeeta Chatterjee)
- Book review: Amidst the Whirlwind is about relationships and resulting complications
- Book Review: Unfinished - A Woman's Tryst with Destiny
- Uzbekistan Airways to start Mumbai-Tashkent direct flights from Oct end
- Crytsal Logistics Cool Chain Ltd opens warehouse facility in Howrah
- Festival feasts at Pour House and Cafe 4/1
- Adventure tourism in India holds a lot of prospect as a job opportunity says Priya Entertianment MD Arijit Dutta
- Author Sreejib explores dichotomy of the human mind in her first book ‘Aqson Level 1’
- Prabha Khaitan Foundation and British Council sign collaboration on arts
- Manicktalla Chaltabagan Puja’s theme pitches Kolkata for UNESCO's “City of Literature” honour
- Priya Entertainments Pvt Ltd offering special holiday packages for tourists to stay in Khairabera Eco Adventure Resorts and also inviting travelers to visit their latest hospitality venture Priya Villa at Shantiniketan
Mumbai, Sept 3 (NITN) Etihad Airways, the national airline of the United Arab Emirates, has announced a special offer for passengers flying from India to the United States and Europe via its hub, Abu Dhabi.
Sydney: If you are planning a holiday in Australia from India, then this is the time as the air-tickets are available at unbeatable prices.
Cologne, Mar 17 (NITN): Deutsche Lufthansa AG, the largest German airline, is offering special sale to all travelers to fly off to and travel in Europe and North America at cheap prices.