NITN | @notintownlive | 30 Jan 2019
Durga, a Bengali novel by Suparna, revolves around the birth, childhood and life of the eponymous protagonist, till her marriage.
The novel commences at the backdrop of post-partition of India when the social, political and economic conditions were still unstable.
A mother in her acute labour pain is portrayed right at the beginning of the story who gives birth to a baby girl, Durga.
Durga happens to be her second child and she is loved by her grandmother and also by her father.
Thus, begins the journey of Durga in this world where she matures quickly and learns to hide her emotions and feelings in front of everyone.
Author Suparna has highlighted details of Durga’s development, her childhood, adolescence and marriage and how she copes with every situation around her.
Suparna’s flow of writing is admirable.
Durga is a common woman with whom almost everyone can relate to but she is also blessed with some exceptional qualities.
Life is filled with challenges but she never submits to any of those hurdles and finds out ways to overcome it with courage and mental strength.
Most of the events in the novel will appear to be realistic since Durga is a part of every woman, she is present everywhere, her struggles are relatable and inspiring at the same time.
The first part of the novel talks about Durga’s birth till her marriage with Kunal.
At the end of the first part, Durga is aware of the fact that she is about to enter a new life as a wife in her in-law’s house and leave behind her father’s house and all her near and dear family members.
The lucid style of writing will make it easier for the readers to understand and to know more about this brave woman, one must read Durga and get impressed.
(Reviewed by Sayantani Sengupta)
- Book review: Gautam Mitra takes you through 'Human-Alien Encounter of the Modern Kind'
- Author interview: Rukmangadhan Janakiram on his book for Insolvency & Bankruptcy Code, 2016 Limited Insolvency Examination
- Author interview: Pratima Dhar on her book of Bengali poems Na Bola Kotha
- Senior citizens of Pronam hoist Tricolour, tie rakhis
- Kolkata: New Bengali modern song 'Upohaar' by Srikanta Acharya released
- Vattikuti Foundation invites Indian Robotic Surgeons for KS National Awards 2019
- Book review: Na Bola Kotha, a collection of Bengali poems, brings out the emotions within
- Author interview: Reshma Kadvath on her book #FOR_THE_LOVE_OF_CREATIVITY
- Most female entrepreneurs don't get desirable support from their spouse yet in India: Rashmi Bansal
- Project Management Institute West Bengal Chapter holds first edition of Members and Volunteers Summit
Hong Kong: Amid row over some Cathay Pacific employees' involvement in the Hong Kong protest, airline CEO Rupert Hogg resigned on Friday, media report said.
Hong Kong: Amid growing pressure over the Hong Kong protests, international airline Cathay Pacific said it is aiming to work with the Hong Kong International Airport to restore normal operations as soon as possible.
Dubai: Emirates is bringing the generosity and spirit of Eid Al Adha to all its customers with a special inflight offering from August 11 to August 14.