NITN | @notintownlive | 30 Jan 2019
Durga, a Bengali novel by Suparna, revolves around the birth, childhood and life of the eponymous protagonist, till her marriage.
The novel commences at the backdrop of post-partition of India when the social, political and economic conditions were still unstable.
A mother in her acute labour pain is portrayed right at the beginning of the story who gives birth to a baby girl, Durga.
Durga happens to be her second child and she is loved by her grandmother and also by her father.
Thus, begins the journey of Durga in this world where she matures quickly and learns to hide her emotions and feelings in front of everyone.
Author Suparna has highlighted details of Durga’s development, her childhood, adolescence and marriage and how she copes with every situation around her.
Suparna’s flow of writing is admirable.
Durga is a common woman with whom almost everyone can relate to but she is also blessed with some exceptional qualities.
Life is filled with challenges but she never submits to any of those hurdles and finds out ways to overcome it with courage and mental strength.
Most of the events in the novel will appear to be realistic since Durga is a part of every woman, she is present everywhere, her struggles are relatable and inspiring at the same time.
The first part of the novel talks about Durga’s birth till her marriage with Kunal.
At the end of the first part, Durga is aware of the fact that she is about to enter a new life as a wife in her in-law’s house and leave behind her father’s house and all her near and dear family members.
The lucid style of writing will make it easier for the readers to understand and to know more about this brave woman, one must read Durga and get impressed.
(Reviewed by Sayantani Sengupta)
- Dalits will feel insecure with the rise of Hindutva: Ashutosh
- Starmark hosts release of Bengali audio CD Awshomapto
- Starmark pays tribute to author Nabendu Ghosh on his 102nd birth anniversary
- Author interview: Najam Us Saher finds solace in poetry when sad
- Khairabera Eco Adventure Resorts comes up with two new offers for Poila Boisakh
- Protyusha Mitra to present her first solo exhibition, Casement, from Apr 7
- Future of change scholarship winner from Jaipur starts “Tailor-Made” degree in media arts
- Continuity in governance and policies shall greatly influence success of reformatory changes: Laxman Jaiswal
- Kolkata slide guitarist Rhitom Sarkar influences guitarist Michael Oesch to an Indo Canadian Slide Guitar Music project
- Book review: Reality and fantasy merge in The Raging Stone'
Mumbai, Feb 21: : In continuation with the successful launch of itsin-flight gift delivery initiative, on the occasion of Valentine'sDay, Jet Airways, India’s premier, full-service internationalairline, will offer guests up to 50% discount* on tickets booked from21st–25th February, 2019.
US railroad operator Amtrak has launched a deal offering rooms for two for the price of one for a select range of destinations across America. The offer is valid for journeys made between January 7 and May 23, 2019.
Hong Kong, Nov 22 (NITN): Cathay Pacific is offering up to USD 1,000 off on Business Class as part of its Black Friday sale in US to Asia flights.