NITN | @notintownlive | 26 Mar 2019
Kolkata, Mar 26: Hindustani slide guitar player Rhitom Sarkar from Kolkata mesmerized Canadian guitarist Michael Oesch making him invite Rhitom for a joint collaboration "Delta Raga."
The entire process started in February 2018 when Michael noticed on facebook slide guitar forum a video featuring Rhitom playing Indian classical music on lap style guitar which have additional sympathetic and drone strings that allow the ragas of Indian classical music to be voiced.
Mesmerized by Rhitom's musicianship, Michael got in touch with him and invited him to Canada to record a melding of Indian and North American slide guitar styles.
In Michael’s words, “In a time when we're told social media can often lead to isolation, in this case Facebook facilitated a month-long in-person exchange of music, culture, and friendship.”
Michael gathered several of Canada’s greatest slide players including two-time finger-style guitar champion Don Ross, Juno-nominated blues player Sean Pinchin, Dan Walsh (formerly of Fred Eaglesmith's band “Flying Squirrels"), renowned bluegrass Dobro player Ivan Rosenberg, blues man David West, Dobro dueling Guy Westbrook of the “Kil” Billys,” and myself, Michael Oesch, on lap steel guitar. They wrote and recorded the 15 tracks in Waterford, Ontario.
As Michael says about Rhitom, “We were all so impressed at Rhitom's ability to adapt to previously unfamiliar genres and song structures.”
Other musicians on the project include bluegrass pickers Adam Shier and Andrew Collins, songwriter/vocalist Sarah Siddiqui, bass player Brian Chhurangur and drummer/percussionist Andrew McMullen.
Michael’s invitation to Rhitom has turned out to be a ground breaking, Indo Canadian Slide Project's album Delta Raga is a melding of North American and Indian slide guitar, and a diverse collection of music spanning many musical genres.
- Starmark holds discussion between architect Anjan Mitra and author Joanne Taylor
- Veer Savarkar was vilified and maligned: Author Vikram Sampath
- Author interview: Gautam Maitra on his recently published book 'Human-Alien Encounter Of The Modern Kind'
- Author interview: Pratima Dhar on why she wanted her book of Bengali poems translated
- West Bengal excels in Tenpin Bowling Championship 2019
- Starmark hosts launch of Shreya Sen-Handley’s Strange Stories
- Corporate honchos come together at 8th Annual CBAI bridge tournament, Sachin Tendulkar joins
- Book review: Jasbeer Singh's poetic thoughts on the emotions of life
- Every single question in media turns into whataboutery nowadays: Sandeep Bhushan
- Author interview: Poet Jasbeer Singh on his book of poems titled 'Walking With My Soul'
New Delhi: Airline GoAir has extended the fee waiver on cancellation or rescheduling over the present situation in Jammu and Kashmir.
New Delhi: Airline Vistara has introduced direct flights from Delhi to Indore.
Doha: Airline Qatar Airways has come up with an offer to travel the world at a ticket price with 30 per cent discount on it.