NITN | @notintownlive | 26 Mar 2019
Kolkata, Mar 26: Hindustani slide guitar player Rhitom Sarkar from Kolkata mesmerized Canadian guitarist Michael Oesch making him invite Rhitom for a joint collaboration "Delta Raga."
The entire process started in February 2018 when Michael noticed on facebook slide guitar forum a video featuring Rhitom playing Indian classical music on lap style guitar which have additional sympathetic and drone strings that allow the ragas of Indian classical music to be voiced.
Mesmerized by Rhitom's musicianship, Michael got in touch with him and invited him to Canada to record a melding of Indian and North American slide guitar styles.
In Michael’s words, “In a time when we're told social media can often lead to isolation, in this case Facebook facilitated a month-long in-person exchange of music, culture, and friendship.”
Michael gathered several of Canada’s greatest slide players including two-time finger-style guitar champion Don Ross, Juno-nominated blues player Sean Pinchin, Dan Walsh (formerly of Fred Eaglesmith's band “Flying Squirrels"), renowned bluegrass Dobro player Ivan Rosenberg, blues man David West, Dobro dueling Guy Westbrook of the “Kil” Billys,” and myself, Michael Oesch, on lap steel guitar. They wrote and recorded the 15 tracks in Waterford, Ontario.
As Michael says about Rhitom, “We were all so impressed at Rhitom's ability to adapt to previously unfamiliar genres and song structures.”
Other musicians on the project include bluegrass pickers Adam Shier and Andrew Collins, songwriter/vocalist Sarah Siddiqui, bass player Brian Chhurangur and drummer/percussionist Andrew McMullen.
Michael’s invitation to Rhitom has turned out to be a ground breaking, Indo Canadian Slide Project's album Delta Raga is a melding of North American and Indian slide guitar, and a diverse collection of music spanning many musical genres.
- Book review: A book to help you understand poet Kalidasa's epic poem Kumarsamvabam
- Book review: Bengali crime thriller genre gets a brand new detective in Aditya Bose
- Book review: Students appearing for Limited Insolvency Examination of IBBI will benefit from this book
- Vee Technologies’ global assessment: A first for a Salem Tech Centre
- Santoor Maestro Pdt Tarun Bhattacharya to get Sangeet Natak Akadei Awards 2019
- Godrej Interio set to open new store at Axis Mall in Kolkata
- Flipkart likely to set up logistics hub in Kalyani near Kolkata generating 10,000 jobs: Amit Mitra
- CWBTA Eastern India Trade Summit 2019 aims at doubling regional trade
- Author interview: Dr. Debojyoti Sarkar on his book 'How “Not” to Become A Surgeon'
- How about hiring a co-author to complete your unfinished book?
Mumbai, June 24: To attract Indian outbound tourists, Sri Lanka Tourism in collaboration with SriLankan Airlines, The Hotels Association of Sri Lanka (THASL) and inbound tour operators has introduced attractive packages, specifically targeting its big neighbour, the number one source market, to revive the industry that had a temporary setback recently from terror attacks.
Qatar National Tourism Council (QNTC) has announced a special summer travel scheme, to run from June 4 to August 16 this year, which includes travel, retail and hospitality offers.
New Delhi, May 6 (NITN): EaseMyTrip (EMT), one of the leading Online Travel Aggregators of India, is offering a set of deals on the eve of Mother’s day on May 12.