NITN | @notintownlive | 04 Apr 2019
Kolkata, Apr 4: Protyusha Mitra shall present her 1st solo exhibition, Casement, from Apr 7 at White Box Janus, 187 Park Street.
The exhibition will continue till Apr 21.
The inauguration of the exhibition will take place at 6:30 pm on 7th April.
The exhibition will run between 2 pm and 7 pm.
Speaking about her works, Protyusha said: "The basic idea of my work is the journey of change. The continuous contradictions with the cohabiting objects or incidents. My concern, however, is not in its criticism; but rather on depicting the rapid changes. Scenes that were a part of our everyday lives for decades, are in sharp contrasts with the ‘new’ and the ‘artificial’.
I love to explore with various mediums & materials. Not necessarily realistic but, different spaces, obstacles, motifs and designs, play a vital role in my paintings. Windows or it is better to say suggestion of windows constantly came into my work as a metaphorical and in-between space of the two different worlds which reflect the contrasts."
About his latest work, Mitra added, "Recently, I have been working on discarded pieces of wooden window panels. Consciously chosen, because the wooden window of older houses has been on a journey of its own. The scars, the rusty nail marks, the uncountable layers of colours are the witnesses to the personal and social history. These window panels have all once been the pride of both grand mansions and humble dwellings. They are soaked in nostalgia and are markers of time travel. These painted spaces can bring about a visual twist, a way to re-imagine the spaces, before they change or be demolished.
Architecture plays a salient role in my works. I use discarded, decayed wooden pieces, which themselves carry history, often manipulated by man, to portray the gray cityscape and distortions of the natural view. A continuous process of change and contrast."
- Book review: Gautam Mitra takes you through 'Human-Alien Encounter of the Modern Kind'
- Author interview: Rukmangadhan Janakiram on his book for Insolvency & Bankruptcy Code, 2016 Limited Insolvency Examination
- Author interview: Pratima Dhar on her book of Bengali poems Na Bola Kotha
- Senior citizens of Pronam hoist Tricolour, tie rakhis
- Kolkata: New Bengali modern song 'Upohaar' by Srikanta Acharya released
- Vattikuti Foundation invites Indian Robotic Surgeons for KS National Awards 2019
- Book review: Na Bola Kotha, a collection of Bengali poems, brings out the emotions within
- Author interview: Reshma Kadvath on her book #FOR_THE_LOVE_OF_CREATIVITY
- Most female entrepreneurs don't get desirable support from their spouse yet in India: Rashmi Bansal
- Project Management Institute West Bengal Chapter holds first edition of Members and Volunteers Summit
Hong Kong: Amid row over some Cathay Pacific employees' involvement in the Hong Kong protest, airline CEO Rupert Hogg resigned on Friday, media report said.
Hong Kong: Amid growing pressure over the Hong Kong protests, international airline Cathay Pacific said it is aiming to work with the Hong Kong International Airport to restore normal operations as soon as possible.
Dubai: Emirates is bringing the generosity and spirit of Eid Al Adha to all its customers with a special inflight offering from August 11 to August 14.